Have you ever opened your gas bill and had sticker shock? Yeah, that’s no fun.
Oasis Energy wants to help you avoid that feeling as much as possible, here’s how…
When the temperatures drop to very cold levels, this has a huge effect on your gas bill. Because of the extreme cold, you and everyone else suddenly uses significantly more natural gas to heat their homes and businesses.
As everyone in the region demands more energy to heat their homes and businesses, the market demand for natural gas increases, and the market price rises. If you’re on a variable rate for your gas service, this increase can be substantial. (The image below shows how the spot price for natural gas rose from FIVE to TEN TIMES it’s standard price during the cold weather that hit the US during early January 2014. Some of these high natural gas prices are passed on to you.)
The end result is that you’re hit with a DOUBLE WHAMMY…your natural gas consumption goes UP and the rate you pay for your natural gas goes UP!
How can you soften the blow that unexpected cold weather will have on your gas bill?
When it’s 5 degrees outside, you can’t just turn off your heater and “tough it out”. These temperatures are dangerously cold. Here’s what you can do…
– Set your thermostat to a lower temperature and bundle up. Dress in layers, wool socks and use blankets).
– Just heat a portion of your home. Close off the vents to all unused rooms.
– Reverse your fan during winter months (See our video about ceiling fans).
– Reduce warm air leaking from windows/doors, by using weatherstripping. Another option is during the coldest days you could even cover the inside of your windows with blankets or plastic sheets to insulate the windows (It’s not pretty, but it works).
– Replace dirty air filters. This allows your HVAC heating system to run as efficiently as possible.
– Program your thermostat. Avoid heating the home when no one is there. (See our video about programming thermostats.)
– Use the “self-cleaning” option on your oven (Cold weather is best time of year to do it). This cleans your oven and creates a lot of heat.
– Drink a warm beverage and snuggle with loved ones. Good companionship and a hot beverage like hot chocolate, can turn a cold day into a great day.
Switch to a fixed rate…
This tip won’t change the amount of natural gas/electricity you consume, but it can help you avoid a sudden rate increase brought on by unexpected or extreme temperatures. If price certainty is important to you, and you want to best avoid that “huge utility bill” consider getting off of the VARIABLE RATE your utility offers and switch to a FIXED RATE like the ones offered by Oasis Energy. This tip works for both electricity and gas. Check rates and availability.
Be safe and stay warm.